Refugees and hospex

Hospitality, cultural exchange, language exchange and needs of refugees seem like a perfect fit. How do they fit together with trustroots? A tribe? Another instance?
If people and places had independent tribes, it would be easy to state:
Person in refugee tribe: Refugee.
Place in refugee tribe: Refugees welcome.
Event in refugee tribe: … you get the idea. :slight_smile:
How to mark people willing to provide support, I don’t know. Perhaps different roles within a tribe?

I think we need “binary tribes”. There is a very similar issue with “volunteering”, we could have a volunteering tribe, where some people are volunteers looking for other people, who offer a place with food and lodging in exchange for volunteering. So the tribe would mostly consist of two very different types. You could also think of the problem: how would you implement a heterosexual dating tribe.
Some ideas:

• adding roles that are specific to tribes: e.g. refugee / host, volunteer / host
  • an open question “why are you joining this tribe?” Only helps a little bit with binary tribes, but I think this will also make the whole network much nicer, as it immediately adds a lot more very useful information to profiles and for people to connect over.

I like the refugee tribe, once we are ready for this, i.e. we will need at least 1. a better way to handle more tribes 2. references, 3. translations 4. tribe discussions.
(Until we have these features, I’d like to limit new tribes to tribes that can directly improve the volunteering experience and the volunteer base, such as Trustroots Volunteers and Burners.)

There is a difference between a group and a facilitation of services within it.
When there is a tribe called “LGBTQ”, even more-so the default becomes normative, because the out-group is removed. Then there is selection-bias for who ends up in which group.
Having people self-identify as refugees, and volunteers helping on the premise that they are, has already failed spectacularly in general society.
It breaks down societal trust, social cohesion, and increases physical and perceived insecurity, for the most vulnerable.

Given that at a societal level this fails, with all the money to spend, and that it also fails on hospitality alone, what is the proposed system of making it work?

Hello @kingu and all,

thank you for sharing your insight into this.

It seems to me that we haven’t really tried the hospitality level, and I’m curious how it would work.

I believe to find out, we should try and see. For a start, it doesn’t have to be different from other hosting. After all, it’s still connecting people online to be together in the real world.

If I’m traveling involuntarily, because there is war, poverty, natural disaster or unfriendly government at my home, I may have different needs than if I travel for an adventure or as a way of life. There may be different people who want to host me or assist me, too. That’s why I imagine embracing refugees in a tribe or in some other form. Also it would be easier to advertise hospex (i.e. Trustroots) to target groups (locals and refugees).

Do you mean refugees will not feel secure to say they’re refugees? If I label myself as one, I’ll be in a worse position?
How can we do this better?

The bottom line:
I don’t want to rely on governments to solve some perceived crisis for me. I prefer to rely on me and us, people. I’m a fan of trying.

What do you think?

People calling themselves refugees were welcomed with blankets and gifts in Germany.
The failure to distinguish real refugees from economic migrants, and those seeking criminal gain, has hurt relations, to where matters are routinely addressed from the highest public office.
The most good-hearted people have had their wishes and dreams turned into living nightmares, and that is precisely the situation that needs not be replicated.

As a cultural exchange, it has drawn a western nation closer to civil war, and tarnished any chance of it happening again within living memory. As a cultural exchange, that is about the biggest failure imaginable. It is also no way to solve the actual problem, and for the expenses of refugees in Europe, these are to, and should, be paid by the state. Leaving only bad actors to pose as genuine. That is a problem.

The trade routes of migration support crime and human suffering at its very essence, seeing as these people are at the very least taken extreme advantage of along the way. When people have to repay that and deal with it, without any chance of being applicable for the job market of a western nation, having to make money quick, the consequences are sadly all too predictable.

There is also the prospect of people illicitly being trained to lie, and helped take advantage of support structure available also hitting Trustroots. You add to that a rapidly failing medical situation, still using Germany as an example, where hospitals and emergency rooms and pharmacies are overtaxed and ill equipped to deal with the situation. At its very core the lack of control means at best unchecked diseases and illnesses are coming in. Unbeknownst to the carriers and potential hosts.

My fear is that this experiment keeps going really wrong, now only at the cost of Trustroots as a platform. Turn to the news and stories of any western nation, and you find Trustroots in jeopardy of rapidly drawing a lot of negative attention. Going about it with hopes and good will seems to be ill advised at this point.

You seem to be a person of initiative and ability, and whereas I don’t know the specifics of your tribulations, I wish you well.