Positive feedback loops

These are some positive feedback loops in Trustroots:

• more members => more potential volunteers
  • more members => more hosts
  • more hosts => better experience for members
  • more volunteers => better features
  • positive volunteering experience => better features, more people spreading the word
  • better features => better experience for members
  • better experience for members => more people spreading the word
  • more people spreading the word => more members

Together there is a compound-interest-like situation. If collectively we do only 1% better every month, on each of these 8, everything overall gets roughly 159% better in a year time pow(1.01, 8*12) == ~2.59.

Of course it’s possible turn this around and look at things in a negative way, but looking at it positively is part of enforcing the positive feedback loops. I’m opening this up as a wiki in case you wanna add more positive feedback loops.

• more cross platform integration : Open Linked Data ? Partnerships with other platforms ? ( Bewelcome ? )

to fully leverage positive feedback loops, we might want to consider leveraging the “devils” tools of viral marketing, ie for example using special reward links if members share it with several others. The reward being better visibility in the network (which will be more important for members the more substantial the network).

Today I read (in Kaku’s new book) that Elon Musk doesn’t see NASA or Boeing as competitors> Do we see couchsurfing as a competitor? Or offer something that is also viable as something that complements CS?

Particularly the tribes are GREAT (the feedback loop: the more meaningful tribes, the more it becomes attractive for a cultural group to create a new tribe). The simplicity of it is precisely what is lacking in CS.

Finally, adding and using rigourous semantics to profiles (like ride-offering, or tourist-guide, or bike-repair) can generate wonderful stories that sound incredibly nice in the media, in turn attracting more new members.

Ah. I do not see ourselves in a competition paradigm. If anything, Couchsurfing can serve as a filter, with only “hardcore enthusiasts” who need something slightly edgier moving on to BW and/or TR

Personally, I do not believe that the value of the networks would really increase through more members if it become idle members. And yes indeed, I also believe that the participation and commitment of members to shared processes and value systems might be a good ( / better ) indicator.

Although the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
If and when we can enable hospitality platforms to be an interface to bootstrap emergent approaches empowered by open linked data ( for example ) , I can see many more applications that could emerge out of such convergences.

Such as, for example, real time / on demand hitch hiking, or technically speaking : multi hop(e) logistics ( for which critical mass of users with an installed app and within a given perimeter would indeed make a big difference - ultimately also enabling megapolis e(lectronic) hitch hiking ( also known as “ehh!” ) , such as within the Randstad, the Ruhr, Greater Los Angeles ). So drivers can get “ehh!” notifications based on their gps pre-sets.
( or more precisely, they can get mehh! 'ed : metropolitan / megapolis electronic hitch hiking notification - , or icehh 'ed : inter city electronic hitch hiking notifications )

Anyway, I need to find another more specific tread to discuss neologisms and their apps more in detail :wink:

aren’t all trust-based platforms in a sort of (hopefully friendly) competition to reach critical mass? I like the mehh-idea and I think we’re both referring to the same thing which, once established, would look beautifully trivial.

I think we can learn from instagram’s use of hashtags. Users use them only for self-marketing. But properly curated hashtags can go a long way. It gives users full control over the semantics. Using a combination of hashtags they can express almost anything “ehh”.

I’d love #hashtags on Trustroots. Obviously tribes could be hashtags, but if people use tags enough, these could automatically be upgraded to a tribe (with some moderation). Does this make sense?

Here’s a very old github issue, which is pretty much this: